Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Quarry The Quarry by Damon Galgut


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
From the back cover: "The Quarry is another stark, intense novel in which human nature betrays itself against the desolate backdrop of rural South Africa. It opens with a chance meeting on a lonely stretch of road, when a man picks up a hitchhiker. The driver is a minister on his way to a new congregation in an isolated village and the passenger, a fugitive from justice. When the minister realizes this and confronts his passenger overlooking an empty quarry, the response is deadly. As the fugitive and the local police chief play out a tense game of cat and mouse, Damon Galgut gives us a devastating combat for man's most prized attribute: freedom."

This was an interesting, odd and compelling read. I doubt I would have ever read it had it not been this month's book club selection at the library and I'm glad to have had the chance. ***SPOILER Possible-->***The confrontation between the minister and the passenger mentioned above is not as it seems in the books description and really surprised me!<--End possible spoiler. Very moody. Simple yet vividly descriptive. Gives such a sense of isolation and desolation. View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Lizzi said...

It sounds like a very interesting book. I'm glad you reviewed because it seems like something I'd like, but something I'd probably never see to pick up. It's going on my list.

And the cover is quite intriguing!