Thursday, July 08, 2010

A Sabatical Of A Different Kind

For those of you who don't already know, I'm currently in the hospital in an adult critical care unit trying to get rid of a very dangerous infection. (Nothing that's contagious but still has deadly potential).

Without going into too much horrifying detail, I've had a drain tube inserted into my left kidney through my back to help it function because coincidentally when the infection kicked in & things swelled, a kidney stone was passing and got trapped, blocking flow. (The stone or stones apparently are not what's caused the infection). They couldn't knock me out for this proceedure because my fever when I arrived here was 103.6 and it was too dangerous. They gave me enough to take away "80%" of the pain. I was terrified (scared out of my every living mind and soul by this point) but thankfully it went quick and there were no complications.

It takes 5 to 7 days for this kind of infection to run it's course. Aside from the drain tube, I'm constanly hooked up to a fluids iv and in addition have a daily anitbiotics iv treatment and what ever else is necessary in addtion to pain meds & tylenol as needed. I have to be here for 24 hours without a fever before they can CT me again to see if that "very very tiny" stone has been able to pass on its' own or not. (If not they will then remove it but only if I don't have a fever). Please pray with me that this stone passes on its' own without complications and that I don't require a second surgery! (I really really appreciate it, thank you).

I had no idea I was "life or death" sick on the verge of death. I really didn't. I've lived with illness for so many years and there wasn't anything different, to me, going on that signaled to me that I needed to get here. I've felt that way before and it's passed in a day or so which is what I thought would happen this time. Obviously not!

We were up at our little lakeside retreat for the 4th of July holiday weekend. Hubbs wanted to pack up, get back down near home and bring me here on Sunday but I just wanted to rest. Monday he woke me early and told me he was packing us up, we were heading home and he was calling my doctor's answering service on the way because heat was radiating off me, heating up the bedroom. I didn't argue. I believe we got home in record time. Shortly after, my doctor's partner returned his call and told him it sounded like I had an infection and to get me to an emergency room "now, don't wait." He didn't. And so here I've been since 11am Monday morning.

I'm improving (slowly) but it's hard once Hubbs leaves when visiting hours end at 8p. (He had to go back to work yesterday so I'm only seeing him for a few hours a day now). I miss him and being home with him so much it brings me to tears. But I'm trying the best I can overall and not get upset. I've had other visitors, get well care packages & oddles of phone calls which helps me to keep my Spirits up. And of course Mom's taken the 'day shift' now that Hubbs is back at work.

And so I leave you now as I continue my sabbatical towards recovery and getting home. Take care until next time friends!


The Frog Queen said...

Oh my, so sorry to hear that! Hope you get better soon!! Sending good thoughts your way.


BookGirl78 said...

Oh my goodness Jo. I've been bad and haven't checked your blog recently and now I read this. I'll of course keep your recovery in my prayers. I can't imagine being stuck in the acu. I wish I could come visit you. Maybe I could some how call you, even if it's just for a little hello! :)
Miss you lots!

rainbowsoffaith said...

P.S. Oh I started a new blog....check it out and let me know what you think! :) Wish I could text you....darn cell phone rules in hospitals. :(

Jo said...

Thanks so much everyone!

dragyonfly said...

Hey that was a hell of a kidney stone, eh?