Thursday, February 02, 2017

What's Saving My Life Right Now?


Anne Bogel (aka Modern Mrs Darcy) wrote briefly about “what's saving your life right now?” the other day and I thought it was a great idea! Because there are a few things saving at least what’s left of my sanity right now during the-case-of-mono-that-won’t-end, which I’ve been noting in my journal, and today’s the day to share my list with all of you. Let me preface this with the fact that I actually love Winter. Snowy Winters to be exact. Dark, rainy, muddy Winters, with little snow? Not. So. Much. Add the extra illness to the mix and I actually do have a royal case of the Winter Doldrums this year!

So here are the things that are saving my life right now:

-We’re coming off one of the most dark & cloudy Januaries I can recall, so throughout I’ve been all about candles and twinkle lights.

-Book Mail! Whether it's books I've ordered or ones being kindly sent from publishers, they are brightening my day as well.

-Indoor houseplants or fresh flowers from the supermarket.

-Amazon Prime TV shows like Good Girls Revolt and Z: The Beginning Of Everything (engrossing and eye-opening).

-Limit and prioritize social media. Use what I enjoy and do my best not to over-indulge; because while it's a blessing, too much is also not good.

-Limiting phone call lengths throughout the day. (Because cause my aunt and I can talk about nothing all afternoon long lol) But calls can be draining, and right now I just don't have extra energy to spare.

-Knit/Read/Write/Journal 10 minutes each daily. This sounds easy but right now, it's so not. (Read a page, snooze... Knit a row, snooze... Or brain fog so bad you can't wrap your mind around complete sentences to write...) Those of you who've been through this or live with a chronic disease on top of which you also get sick often will be able to relate well. Those of you who haven't, well, you're very lucky that you cannot relate! 

If I'm able to do these things that I love so much for longer periods of time, I do. But, if I'm unable to, that's okay too. Even the basics are difficult to accomplish and dangerous (health) complications can arise at the drop of a dime, so I have to be extremely cautious. I'm having a very rough time right now so I'm trying to do everything I can to be good to myself, not harder on myself.

-The online Winter Retreat, "Hibernate" hosted by Heather Buggeman of Beauty That Moves. This is my second Hibernate Retreat, and I cannot recommend it, the community the Retreat creates, or her gorgeous and engaging blog enough!

-Paying attention to my disconnect alarm - that's when I shut off phone apps, alarm gets set, and the phone goes face down on the night stand.

-TV off when the phone gets put down unless I'm actually watching something (no aimless channel flipping) and then sometimes I may read before trying to sleep. (Reading before bed just doesn’t work like it used to – I fall asleep!)

-Easy, basic yoga stretches right before getting into bed (for back and tummy pain). I only spend about 5 minutes or so doing this, but it makes a world of difference for me comfort wise, and therefore helps me sleep.

-Listening to favorite audio books as soon as I lay down to sleep to help me to sleep and drown out Big’s snoring. Right now it's Julia Cameron's Walking In This World. (Podcasts that you haven't listened to before will keep you awake just FYI lol)

To join the blog link up and share your list, visit Anne's post, "What's saving my life right now" by clicking here.

What's saving your life right now? Share with me in the comments below!

1 comment:

Bloomin'Chick Jo said...

Unfortunately, for the first time in many years, I received an "anonymous" comment from someone who obviously doesn't understand the seriousness of living with disease and chronic illness, which has truly and deeply upset me, because as I have said in the past, and anyone who actually knows me knows, I do not, and have never, shared anything as a play for sympathy, because I have never wanted sympathy from anyone, TYVM. If you do not like what you see here, you are free to agree to disagree and move on, TY.

Haters gonna hate hate hate hate hate... Shake it off. Shake it off! :-)